This time of year the temperatures start to slowly increase. As the evenings stay lighter, lots of people opt to take their dogs for walks later in the evening, rather than the early walks they had to do in those chilly winter months.
Looking after your dogs at this time of year is just as crucial as it is all throughout the year, so here are a few helpful tips and hints on caring for your dog in the summer.
- As the weather is heating up, ensure that, if possible, not to walk dogs (especially long haired dogs) in the midday sun, as it can be an uncomfortable experience for them. Early mornings and late afternoons are generally the best times for dog walking.
- When you take your dog out for a walk, consider taking a water bottle and water bowl for your dog, so he can keep hydrated throughout the walk. Dehydration can occur very quickly and is very dangerous in dogs. It is important to remember that most dogs are permanently walking around with fur coats on – so you can imagine how hot you would be if that was you!
- This time of year dogs may suffer with allergies, these could be caused by a number of things such as; household allergens, food allergens and seasonal allergens. These actual allergies can be caused by anything from the pollen count to a reaction to flea bites, and can even by caused by your dog eating certain types of food. There are also many more triggers too.
We can not always stop allergic reactions from occurring, although we can take a few precautions such as:
- Ensuring that your dog’s flea and tick treatment is up to date.
- Keeping your dog away from household chemicals and trying to use natural cleaning products where possible.
- Making sure that your dog’s bed is regularly cleaned.
- Keeping your home relatively clean and tidy.
- Keeping your dog away from freshly cut or treated grass.
If you think your dog may be suffering with an allergy it could be a food allergy. Common foods that may cause allergies include; lamb, beef, chicken, corn, soy, dairy products, fish, eggs and wheat.
This time of year is an enjoyable time for both your dogs and you. It will be even more enjoyable if you follow these tips and hints for dog care in the summertime.